Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Apricot Curry Chicken

Don't you love when people start new blogs and then hardly write on them? Well hopefully I'll be a little more consistent.

I was itching to try something new tonight for dinner.

I had bought some apricots from Trader Joe's and they were way too ripe. We've usually had good success there with apricots, but this time around I knew no one would eat them. But I didn't want to waste them, so I looked for apricot chicken recipes.

I found this one for Apricot Curry Chicken and thought I would try it.

We aren't a curry family. I'm not a huge fan - and we can't handle really spicy. But it's good to try something new every once in a while.

But I didn't have several of the ingredients so here is what I came up with:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
Some white wine
7 apricots, pitted and halved
1/4 cup white sugar
1 14 oz can light coconut milk
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp AI steak sauce (wished I wasn't out of Worcester)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp curry
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (more to taste)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (chopped)


Combine everything but the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer about 10 min.

Stir the chopped chicken into the sauce and cook (another 10-15 min)

Served over brown rice with veggies.

There was something in it that I didn't like but I couldn't grasp what it was - the white wine? the A1? or the sugar? Honestly, I think it may have been the sugar, but I don't know. It would have helped if my apricots were a bit more tart to balance it out, but I didn't have that luxury.

Overall it was good. My husband and kids ate it, which was a plus.

 


We served it with sauteed zucchini and Fairy Tale eggplant (love that name). Any veggies would do (you can't see the zucchini because we ate it all).

No comments: